Game Development Reference
In-Depth Information
Different evaluations of these data allow the different simulated people to select
occupations to their liking. These occupations include the following:
n Day Job. The Day Job occupation is used as the balance point for all the
others. It carries a 99 percent chance of success. The 1 percent failure rate
corresponds to about 2.6 unpaid days per year. It can be thought of as, ''I
tried to go to work, but when I got there, work was closed.'' This occupation
has a gain of 1.0, which is used as the yardstick for one day's wages. It costs
0.01 day's wages to try to go to the day job. This attempts to factor in the cost
of transportation, clothing, and other expenses that directly relate to
holding down a job. There is no additional loss for failing to succeed at this
occupation; the employer does not fine employees for days they do not
work, it simply does not pay them.
n Street. The Street occupation models begging or busking on the street and
freeloading off friends. This occupation has a 75 percent chance of earning a
simulated person 0.2 days' wages, which could be thought of as 1.6 hours of
pay. It has no financial downsides; the occupation is free to engage in, and
there is no fee for failure.
n Stunt Show. The Stunt Show occupation is hard. It has only a 70 percent
chance of success. It pays handsomely at 2.5 days' wages; the downside is
that a failure costs 1.0 day's wages. (Think of the medical bills!) Even good
days have 10 times the cost of a regular job at 0.1 day's wages, due to wear
and tear on equipment.
n Lotto. The Lotto occupation is not terribly promising. It has a very low
chance of success, at 0.01 percent. The payoff of 10,000.0 days' wages cer-
tainly exhibits a powerful lure, however. Playing the game costs the same
amount as going to a regular job—0.01 day's wages—and there is no ad-
ditional cost for losing.
n Crime. The Crime occupation succeeds 30 percent of the time and, when
successful, pays an eye-opening 100 days' wages. It is twice as expensive to
do as going to a day job—a mere 0.02 day's wages. The downside is that
failure costs 200 days' wages.
n Rock Band. The Rock Band occupation has an alluring payoff of 1,000 days'
wages. It is not the same as hitting the lottery, but the 0.5 percent chance of
success puts it in the reach of the dedicated artist. The lifestyle is nearly as
 
Search Nedrilad ::




Custom Search