Game Development Reference
Wooden Pallet: Texture Creation
In this first tutorial, you will create a texture that is ready for modeling as we move into
the next chapter. We'll use these two chapters together as a complete tutorial on the
asset creaion process from beginning to end.
In this first tutorial, you will learn how to:
• Turn a photo into a photo texture material
• Straighten and manipulate photos
• Run filters to enhance color, contrast, and sharpness
• Combine muliple textures into one master texture
• Prepare your texture for gaming
Finding textures to use in asset modeling
It's ime to select a texture and prepare it for modeling into a 3D object. You're going to ind
your texture on CGTextures.com and model straight from that, giving you the best realism
possible. Also, this means you don't need to worry about finding measurements of things;
you can model by eye.
Time for action - selecting the photo texture
1. Set up a project folder somewhere on your computer called Pallet . Within that
folder create a folder called Textures and one called Meshes .
2. Go to http://www.cgtextures.com and sign in with the username and password
you set up in Chapter 2 , Tools that Grow on Trees , by going to Members ¦ Login .
3. Above the list of categories to the left-hand side, there's a search box. Enter pallet